Mike and Tom Hogg were the youngest of the Hogg children. Mike Hogg, three years younger than Ima, was born in 1885 in Tyler, Texas, and spent his adolescence in Austin. Tom Hogg was born in 1887 and was the only sibling who was native to Austin. Tom was only 8 years old when his mother, Sallie Hogg, died.

Both Mike and Tom attended boarding schools in Texas and New Jersey after Sallie’s death. Mike continued his education at The University of Texas and received his law degree in 1911. 

In World War I, Mike served as a lieutenant and rose to the rank of captain. He saw action at Saint-Mihiel and Meuse-Argonne Forest, was wounded in the fall of 1918, and returned to Houston in April 1919.

Back in Houston, Mike shared offices with Will at Hogg Brothers Inc. In the spring of 1927, he decided to follow in his father’s footsteps and ran for a seat in the Texas Legislature. He served two terms and won a reputation as a foe of big business interests and a defender of the “little people,” much like his father.

He lived with Ima at Bayou Bend until he was 44 years old, when he married Alice Nicholson Fraser. In 1931 the couple moved to a home in Houston’s River Oaks next door to Ima’s home at Bayou Bend. Alice and Ima became great friends and often worked together on various civic projects, including the River Oaks Garden Club.

In 1938 Mike became ill with cancer. He died in his home in Houston on October 10, 1941. He was 55 years old.

Tom Hogg was the lost soul of the Hogg family. He suffered from periodic depression, wrestled with a drinking problem for much of his life, and moved from state to state quite a bit.

He attended Colorado College in Colorado Springs, Colorado, but did not graduate. In 1907 he joined the U.S. Marine Corps, but he was forced to leave in 1909 because of trouble with his eyes. 

In 1912 he married Marie Willet and lived with her at the Varner Plantation, the family’s country home in Brazoria County. Later, they moved to Colorado where he worked in the advertising department at The Denver Post.

Tom registered for the draft in 1917, hoping to fight in World War I as his brother Mike did, but he was not eligible because of his eye problems. He and Marie moved back to Texas to live in Tyler in 1920 and then moved to San Antonio in 1921.

The couple began living apart in 1938 and divorced in 1939.

In 1942 Tom married Margaret Wells, and they settled in Yuma, Arizona. Tom died of heart failure at the age of 61 in Yuma on March 8, 1949.